- Orange (Orange): orange gives us a feeling of stimulation since it is a combination of yellow and red and affects us in an emotional and physical way. It allows our minds to think of things that bring us comfort, physically; it makes us think of things like food, warmth, shelter, etc. This is often seen as a fun color for our minds.
- When positive: orange gives us thoughts of comfort, food, warmth, security, passions, fun, good times etc.
- When negative: it can give us feelings of frustration, immaturity, and deprivation.
- Pink (Pink): Pink is a combination of red and white, however, due to the white, this color often soothes us instead of stimulating. It does often represent femininity, like a sense of feminine power. It can bring us feelings of nurturing.
- When positive: it brings us tranquility, nurturing, love, survival
- When negative: it can make us feel inhibited, emasculated, weak
- Grey (Grey): This color actually is pretty easy on the mind, it does not bring much to the mind in terms of emotion, mentality, or anything physical. It is a neutral color, for the most part. It is sometimes seen as suppressive and create a sense of hibernation.
- Black (Black): Black often brings us considerable impact on our mind and body. It can make us feel protected and takes in all the energy around us. It can be negative in terms of enshrouding our personalities when there is too much of it around. However, it can help us see clearly because there are no distractions and give us a sense of sophistication.
- When positive: sophisticated, glamorous, secure, safe, efficient.
- When negative: oppressed, cold, menacing, heavy.
Friday, March 28, 2014
How To Understand Colors and Their Impact Part 2
Yesterday we had a post about colors and how they can impact people emotionally, physically, and mentally. The reason for these posts is because as a graphic designer, you will be using color in your designs and sometimes, it will matter what colors you choose simply due to how they will affect your audience.